Developing Interviews: Administering Interviews
By Alexis Mitman Colker, Ph.D.
This module details the steps recommended for administering and recording a topic-based interview effectively. It is assumed that an interview protocol already has been developed (see Preparing an Interview Protocol). Furthermore, it is assumed that the interview will take place face-to-face to maximize the communication between interviewer and participant and the quality of the interview data. When logistical difficulties make face-to-face interviewing unworkable, then a videoconference or phone interview is the next best alternative, and most strategies in this module still apply.
The objectives of this module are for you to understand:
- How to notify a participant about an interview
- How to set up an interview
- How to establish rapport before the interview starts
- How to introduce the interview
- How to record information during the interview
- How to conduct the interview
- How to listen and respond during the interview
- How to conclude the interview
- How to follow up after the interview
- How to prepare quantitative and qualitative interview data for analysis