Developing Written Questionnaires: Questionnaire Design
By Alexis Mitman Colker, Ph.D.
Good questionnaire design is critical to success. A good design
will encourage participants to answer your questions fully and accurately
and will provide information that can be analyzed to generate real knowledge.
Conversely, a poor design will discourage participants, reduce
response rates, and provide information that is either confusing
or useless. In this module, you will learn concrete tips on how
to structure questionnaires for evaluative success. Good questionnaire
design is in some ways an art...but, as you will see, it is an art that can be learned.
The objectives of this module are for you to understand:
- What is a reasonable length for a questionnaire.
- How to order questions in a questionnaire.
- What kind of graphic style choices make items most easily understood
- What characteristics of a paper or electronic questionnaire
- The steps for testing a questionnaire prior to its use.